We have a terrific opportunity for an experienced Financial Controller to join our successful team.
Working Hours - 30 Hours per week
This is an exciting time for The Friends who have expanded their operations over the past few years. The Friends generate income to support the running costs of the Wisdom Hospice paid via monthly grants.
The Friends of the Wisdom Hospice were set up as a charity to initially raise the funds to build a hospice to support the communities of Medway and Swale. The hospice was opened by HM Queen Elizabeth in October 1984. Today we raise our funds through Fundraising events, Donations generated from supporters, Gifts in Wills, Friends’ Lottery and through our three charity shops which are operated by a separate trading company.
We are looking to recruit a Financial Controller who will support the Chief Executive. This role has responsibility for the maintenance and development of charity wide financial systems, the annual budget process and the production of financial information for presentation to the Board of Trustees for both the charity and our trading company.
• Preparing summary schedules of income received and posting them to Sage 50 Accounts
• Coding and posting purchase invoices to Sage and processing monthly bank payment run
• Preparing bank reconciliations
• Preparing monthly management accounts and variance analysis
• Running monthly payroll on Sage 50 Payroll including pensions
• Preparing and submitting monthly Gift Aid Claims and quarterly VAT returns
• Overseeing the work of Fundraising Administrator / Finance Assistant
• Preparing annual budgets
• Attending trustees’ meetings and advising trustees on financial matters
• Supporting CEO and other colleagues with ad hoc financial information
• Leading on annual audit process
Skills, Experience and Attributes
• Excellent administrative, organisational and time management skills
• Ability to use own initiative - manage own workload and that of others
• Experience of Sage 50 accounts and Sage 50 Payroll
• Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and proficient in the use of Word and Outlook
• Experience of using databases (Donorflex in particular would be an advantage)
• Knowledge and experience of Charity accounts and SORP
• Ability to remain up to date with relevant legislation and regulations
• Understanding of the sensitive nature of our work and commitment to our values
• Enthusiastic and positive attitude; flexible and adaptable
• Current valid driving licence and use of own car
What we Offer
• A friendly and inclusive working environment
• Being part of a team that is really making a difference
• Company pension scheme
• 25 days holiday plus bank holidays pro rata
• Free parking
• 30 hours per week over 4 or 5 days
How to apply
Please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability for this role and why we should consider your application.
An application pack can be requested from Friends CEO Martyn Reeves via email [email protected] or by calling The Friends of the Wisdom Hospice on 01634 831163
We are keen to appoint so do not leave it too long to apply. Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview